Staff Position Announcement
Title: Development Director
Type: Permanent, fulltime
Location: Helena, Montana
Reports to: Executive Director
Travel: Some overnight travel
Beginning Compensation: $42,000-$48,000/yr. DOE plus excellent benefits
About the Montana Environmental Information Center:
The Montana Environmental Information Center (MEIC) is a non-profit environmental advocate founded in 1973 by Montanans concerned with protecting and restoring Montana’s natural environment. MEIC is a fun, fast-paced and cutting edge, environmental organization with a long history of success in protecting Montana’s environment. MEIC works in the courts, the Montana Legislature, and at state agencies in defending our environment and moving proactive policy solutions. For over 40 years, MEIC has worked on a broad range of statewide environmental and “good government” issues, including global warming, coal development, renewable energy, energy efficiency, air pollution, hardrock mining, water quality, land use, corporate reform, and constitutional protections like the right to a clean and healthful environment and freedom of information.
The Development Director is responsible for the development and implementation of MEIC’s development program. This includes developing and maintaining effective membership, foundation, and other fundraising activities. The DD does this by leading a team of MEIC staff and Board members as appropriate. While personal contact is foundational, MEIC’s website, social media outreach, newsletter design and production, and design and production of other print publications also play a critical role in implementation of development activities including event planning and execution.
- Foundation proposal writing, prospecting, grant reports
- Developing, testing, refining, and implementing fundraising strategies
- Assures that the membership database is current at all times
- Manages day-to-day development activities
- Stays current in the literature and trends in fundraising
- Assists in staff hiring and evaluation when asked
- Designs and produces timely annual reports
- Plays leadership role in MEIC’s development planning processes
- Assists with Board development activities
- Assists with implementation of MEIC’s Major Donor program
- Responsible for planning and conducting MEIC’s membership outreach activities, including the organization’s annual meeting (Rendezvous) and holiday party
- Is highly motivated, a self-starter, and able to effectively manage multiple demands and deadlines
- Experience in all matters relating to fundraising including foundation relationship development and maintenance, grant proposal writing, targeted social media, event management, direct mail design and implementation experience for a 501(c)(3) corporation, preferable one engaged in social change
- Positive experience with a non-profit Board of Directors
- Is able to lead and work effectively in a team environment
- Has demonstrated excellent analytic and communication skills
- Has demonstrated the ability to write and speak concisely and persuasively
- Is proficient in the Apple computer platform environment, including the Microsoft Office suite, File Maker Pro, and it is desirable that the candidate have familiarity with membership or customer database management software
- Has bachelor’s degree and graduate courses or comparable work experience in marketing, non-profit fundraising or related education/experience
- Has strong traditional and new media communications experience
How to Apply:
Interested applicants please reference “Development Director” in the subject line and submit a letter of interest, along with your resume, and a list of three references via e-mail to email@example.com. Deadline for applications is Friday, August 10th.
Temporary Positions & Internships
There are currently no internships with MEIC. Please check back for any future openings.
It is the policy of MEIC to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender, age, disability, or any other characteristics protected by law, in all personnel actions.